Who can use ILL? What can I get through ILL? What format will the ILL item be delivered in? How do I request an item through ILL? How long does it typically take for ILL material to arrive? My ILL material is taking much longer to arrive than I expected, why? How do I check the status of my ILL requests? How much will it cost? Where do I pick up my materials? How long may I use the item? Where do I return the items I have borrowed? What if I want more information?
Who can use ILL?
Currently enrolled UT Arlington students and currently employed UT Arlington faculty and staff.
You can request almost anything through Interlibrary Loan including:
You cannot request the following materials:
- Materials available in the UT Arlington Libraries (unless they are lost, missing, checked out or being repaired.)
- Course textbooks.
- Material for the purpose of placing them on Reserve.
What format will the ILL item be delivered in?
If you requested an article, an excerpt, an essay, or a chapter, the item may be delivered to you as a photocopy or an electronic copy (i.e. a scan). If you requested a book, thesis, or complete work, the physical item will be available for you to borrow.
- Search the UT Arlington Online Catalog to ensure the materials you need are not available at the Libraries.
- If you already know the specific item you need, skip to step 4.
- If you don't know the specific item you need, contact the Service Desk staff for help.
- Go to the UT Arlington Interlibrary Loan Online System.
- Log in using your NetID and password
- In the "New Request" item on the left navigation bar, select your desired request.
- Fill out the form as completely as you can and select "Submit Request".
How long does it typically take for ILL material to arrive?
Photocopy Requests: 3-4 days.
Loan Requests: 10 days.
If you have special needs requiring fast delivery, include your deadline on the request form. We will try to meet your deadline. When the deadline date is reached, we will stop trying to locate your material and let you know the situation.
My ILL material is taking much longer to arrive than I expected, why?
Here are some common reasons for delayed arrival:
- Item was recently published.
- Rare or unusual items/formats.
- Request was made during a holiday period.
- ILL request form is incomplete or inaccurate.
- You turned in more than 10 ILL requests in one day, and the requests had to be processed over several days so that all ILL users were served in a timely manner.
How do I check the status of my ILL requests?
- Go to Interlibrary Loan Online.
- Log in using your NetID and password
- Under "View" on the left navigation bar, select "Outstanding Requests".
Also, feel free to contact the ILL Office at 817-272-3344 or email@example.com.
How much will it cost?
The charges to obtain most ILL materials are paid for by the UT Arlington Libraries. If the material was lost while you were borrowing it, you must pay replacement costs as well as any processing fees and overdue fines. Additionally, If the fee to borrow an item is more than $25, undergraduates may be asked to cover those fees.
Where do I pick up my materials?
We will contact you when your materials are ready to be picked up.
Physical Items (books, microfilm, etc): Pick up at the Service Desk on the 1st floor of Central Library. You must present a photo ID to pick up these materials.
Electronic Copies: The item will be stored on the ILL webserver and you will receive an email telling you how to access it.
Photocopies: May be mailed to you or you may pick them up at the Service Desk on the 1st floor of Central Library. You must present a photo ID to pick up these materials.
How long may I use the item?
Physical Items: The books we borrow through Interlibrary Loan are the property of other libraries. The due date is set by the owning library and varies depending on the item. The owning library also determines whether an item can be renewed.
ILL materials returned after the due date are subject to overdue fines. Also, ILL privileges and/or UT Arlington Libraries borrowing privileges may be suspended if ILL materials are kept beyond their due date.
Photocopies: They are usually yours to keep.
Electronic Copies: They are accessible for 30 days unless you delete the article before the 30 days is up.
Where do I return the items I have borrowed?
Return all ILL materials to the Service Desk on the 1st floor of Central Library.
What if I want more information?
Contact us! You can reach us by phone (817-272-3344), fax (817-272-5804), or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org