September, 1847 - June, 1848
Although the bulk of U.S. forces were employed in the occupation of the Mexican capital from September 1847 to June 1848, many of Mexico's largest population centers were occupied by U.S. troops for considerable periods of time. In the north, Taylor's Army of Occupation maintained small garrisons in Camargo and Matamoros, as well as the region's principal cities, Monterey and Saltillo. In the South, U.S. troops established a string of garrisons along the National Road in Vera Cruz, Perote, Jalapa, Puebla and smaller towns. All U.S. troops were removed by order of President Zachary Taylor following Mexico's formal ratification of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in May, 1848.