For a year and a day, the Texas Spring Palace drew worldwide attention to Fort Worth and the natural products grown in the state of Texas. This regional immigration and agricultural fair building was located on the south side of the Texas & Pacific Railroad tracks in the vicinity of the current main Fort Worth post office. The exterior of the domed building was clad with natural products such as wheat and cotton. Built in just 31 days at a cost of $35,000, the Spring Palace opened its first season, May 29 to June 20, 1889. Visitors toured exhibits of agriculture, horticulture, minerals, history, science and art, and enjoyed bands, vocal performances and orators. Its second season, May 10-31, 1890, ended tragically when fire destroyed the building during a dance on the evening of May 30. Only one life was lost in the fire -- Al Hayne -- an Englishman who rescued many women and children from the blaze. A monument honoring Hayne stands at Lancaster and Main Streets. This drawing of the east end of the 1889 Spring Palace is taken from the visitor's catalogue which describes the building and exhibits in great detail.
The Texas Spring Palace, Special Collections, The University of Texas at Arlington